Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The value of nothingness....

I am on a break...not a sabbatical but just a week long break and one question i keep getting by everyone is so, where r u going, why not take a vacation, why not go home, etc etc. I too initially wanted to indulge in all of these but then i refrained myself and i just stayed at my apartment, not doing anything and from my experience in the last two days, all i can say is nothingness has its own value. In the normal course life is very hectic. Getting up and just running here and there just makes you completely drained by the end of the week and no sonner you realise that, you are already hitting Sunday evening and the race begins again and in the background of all these, this break seems amazing. Last two days, frankly I have done nothing. I wake up leasurely, make my tea, aaram se read the newspaper, prepare my breakfast, ask the maid to make a nice lunch, relax again, watch tv, read a book, go for a brisk walk and just laze around. Thankfully, my house comp is also not working and hence that ensures i dont spend all my time sticking my neck on the screen. Life is very slow and the lack of pace really lets me unwind. I could have gone somewhere but there is value in being with just yourself, all alone for the whole day, no one around and you being able to just gaze into the thin air for sometime more, roll here and then on the couch for sometime extra and stretch ur legs a bit more....there is value in all of these; there is immense pleasure in sleeping without thinking about the meetings the following day; there is immense pleasure in waking up, gazing at the watch and not saying, damn i am getting late...better still, there is immense pleasure in waking up and not feeling the need to gaze at the watch at all.... No wonder the elders talked so much about stopping to smell the roses...Nothingness has its own virtue.....

No comments: